Folks, after being a watch-guy for most of my life, I’ve been without one these last six years for one reason or another. Meet the Casio F10SW-1A Illuminator:
- I owned this watch as a kid. In fact it was my first watch, a birthday gift from my mom and dad.
- It’s rugged and utilitarian, with a reputation for being reliable. Water resistant? Check. Backlight? Check. Multifunctional? Check.
- It’s kinda dorky and, well, so am I.
- Hipsters love it. Okay, that’s sort of a reason not to wear it. But at least I could argue that some subset of the population considers it trendy.
- Al Queda loves it. Or at least they supposedly love its close cousin, the F91W. Enough so that the CIA has used possession of a Casio watch as reason to extend the detention of Guantanamo Bay detainees. While I’m certainly no fan of Al Quaeda, I think Guantanamo Bay and extrajudicial detention is an abomination. So wearing a Casio will be my own little fuck you to the CIA/Military Industrial Complex.